THIS MORNING, 9.30am
Liturgist – Alexa Johnston Preacher – Glynn Cardy
Serving elders – Kathryn Jones, Zoe Parr, Rosie Moore, Sandie Jost, Valmai Trainor, Peter Winder
Duty Elder – Kathryn Jones Organist – Stephen Vincent Flowers – Anne Baird
Readers – Emily Martin, Fraser Wright Intercessions – Kathy Hey
Hospitality – Maria & Peter Winder, Sally Ibbertson, Barbara Smith, Anne Baird, Rebecca Hayward & Neil Wright
Crèche – Vivienne Hayward
NOTICES FOR SUNDAY 14 MAY 2017
1. TODAY WE CELEBRATE HARVEST FESTIVAL, MOTHER’S DAY & COMMUNION. Our theme is ‘Supportive Mothers’ - mothers who raised us, mothers working to end poverty, ‘mother’ earth. During the service the children will make posies. As is the custom for Harvest Festival we invite you to bring food to church as a symbol of thanksgiving. After the service we will have a little stall in the church foyer where the food will be sold and then the proceeds will go to Shine [PSN] and JusticeKiss. Alicia Odhiambo from www.justicekiss.co.nz will speak during the Children’s Talk. After the service at 11 a.m. Alicia will share how sustainable business can impact on social problems such as poverty and human trafficking. She will also give some easy ways to participate in solutions to these problems. Alicia will include a sales table of jewellery, bags and accessories made by the women in Nepal who have come out of prostitution or other dodgy work situations to have sustainable and dignified work. You are encouraged to bring your purse and buy early Christmas gifts, Birthday gifts or something for yourself, in so doing supporting women in Nepal.
2. TODAY AT 2pm, MOTHERS DAY CONCERT. An afternoon of choral and organ music here at St Luke’s performed by the choirs of St Andrew’s Epsom, directed by Neil Shroff, and St Luke’s, directed by Jill Stotter. Choir accompanists are Philip Smith (organ) and Sue Gaddis (piano). Organ solos by Stephen Vincent. This is a benefit concert for St Andrew’s choral scholarships fund and the St Luke’s organ refurbishment fund. Door sales $25 / $20 unwaged. Afternoon tea will be served at the end of the concert.
3. INTERIM COMMUNITY PROGRAMMES MANAGER. We welcome Gill Warren back to St Luke’s to cover the CPM role until a new Community Director has been appointed. Gill will be at St Luke’s on Tuesdays and Wednesdays, and can be contacted on 520 0199.
4. FIRST N THIRD MORNING TEA, Tuesday 16 May, 10.30am. All welcome.
5. VOICES FROM THE INSIDE: THREE AFTER DINNER TALKS FROM VOICES WITHIN OUR COMMUNITY
Our first winter warming Friday night pot-luck dinner starts at 6pm on Friday 19th May, followed by our guest speaker, Dr Stephanie Gapes/Cardy at 7pm. Please sign the list at reception. Stephanie is a paediatrician, and founding director of Starship Hospital’s Te Puaruruhau Child Protection Unit. PLEASE NOTE THE NEW START TIME IS 6pm.
6. ON SUNDAY 21st MAY, we will be welcoming Sir Lloyd Geering as our guest preacher. As we are expecting a large number to attend the service, we would be grateful if you would bring a plate of goodies for morning tea.
7. SEA OF FAITH: What's the difference between a humanist and an atheist? The president of the Humanist Society of NZ, Sara Passmore will explain this in an address at Sea of Faith's next meeting on Sunday 21st May. Tea and coffee served from 4pm, the lecture and discussion from about 4.40pm. Reviewer David Hines reckons humanists sound more positive: studying how to live a good life without religion rather than simply saying there is no god. Sara has practised this belief by being on advisory panels about multi-faith education in schools in Britain. She has also been nominated for the panel for the new Religious Diversity Centre in New Zealand, to help make sure non-religious people get a voice in this new programme.
8. UPGRADING OUR PIANO. We sincerely thank Murray Jenkin for generously donating his piano to St Luke’s which will replace the older one in the Activities Room which is being moved into the kindergarten. If anyone is interested in buying / taking away the kindy’s existing piano, please contact Pamela.
9. ACCOMMODATION NEEDED: CAN YOU HELP? Rosalie Lockwood’s mature, responsible daughter urgently needs to rent an unfurnished, one-bedroom flat anywhere in Central to West Auckland. If you have, or know of, a flat available now or in the next few weeks, please contact Helen on 021 379 133, email firstname.lastname@example.org or Rosalie on 849 3492.
10. FLOWER TEAM. We are actively seeking people to join our flower arranging roster. Flower are prepared weekly for the Sunday service, and when needed for weddings. If you would like more information, please contact Pamela.
11. WORKING BEE. The Community Resource Team is keen to run a working bee in June. They have a few tasks in mind, but are keen to hear from the community. What needs to be cleaned, tidied or sorted around here? Please add your ideas to the list at reception.
12. SAINT LUKE’S COMMUNITY CHOIR: SING WITH US AGAIN. Calling all singers. Registrations are open for the 2017 Organ Refurbishment Fund Raising concert. This year we sing Mozart Requiem in D Minor on Saturday August 12th. Rehearsals begin on 29th June. Please email email@example.com for a registration form
SUNDAY 21 MAY 2017
9.30am All Age Worship
Liturgist – Kerry Stotter Preacher – Sir Lloyd Geering Duty Elder – Peter Winder
Readers – Jill Stotter, Kerry Stotter Intercessions – Angela Murdoch
Organist – Tim Carpenter Crèche – Margaret Davidson
130 Remuera Road, Remuera, Auckland 1050
Community Centre & Church Office: Phone 520 0740
Minister: GLYNN CARDY 021 545 969; firstname.lastname@example.org
Youth Worker: MARIA CARDY 021 111 2592; email@example.com
Interim Community Programme Manager: Gill Warren 520 0199; firstname.lastname@example.org
Administrator: PAMELA DAY 520 0740; email@example.com
Parish Council Convener: DAVID McNABB; firstname.lastname@example.org
Parish Clerk: ALEXA JOHNSTON email@example.com
Envelope Secretary: MARGARET TIBBLES, 846 7682 (h); firstname.lastname@example.org
PASTORAL. If you know of anyone needing support, a listening ear, a phone call or a visit at home or in hospital,
please contact Pamela email@example.com
NEWCOMERS: Anyone wishing to become a member or associate of the Community of Saint Luke, or simply to join the mailing list, please check out the yellow form on the screen bench inside the church door.