THIS MORNING, 9.30am
Liturgists – Glynn Cardy & Barbara Smith Preacher – Richard Ward
Duty Elder – Ken Hulls Organist – Stephen Vincent Flowers – Angela Murdoch
Readers – Karen Fehl, Margaret Tibbles Intercessions – David McNabb
Hospitality – John & Valmai Trainor, Noeline Creighton, Karen Fehl, Margaret Tibbles, Angela Murdoch
SLIKS – Anna Cardy & Helen Wadsworth Crèche – Rebecca Hayward
THIS WEEK WE PRAY FOR
World Council of Churches’ Calendar – France, Germany, Monaco
Within the Nation – EDUCATION. Students, teachers, administrators; school trustees and tertiary institutions’ councillors;
caretakers and maintenance staff; policy makers; ERO
Within St Luke’s – Noeline Creighton; Allan & Margaret Davidson, and family; Curt & Megan Davidson
NOTICES FOR SUNDAY 19 FEBRUARY 2017
1. TODAY WE WARMLY WELCOME RICHARD WARD as our guest preacher. Richard has been a Presbyterian Minister since 1992, serving first at Knox Church in Feilding and then at Kohimarama, in both parishes ‘job-sharing’ the role with his wife, Rev Nikki Watkin. Since August 2015 Richard has been Chaplain at Mt Eden Corrections Facility, while Nikki has continued to be the minister at Kohimarama. They both fill their spare time with family responsibilities and involvement in a variety of community groups. Richard works with another full time Chaplain at the prison and together they coordinate a large team of volunteers.
2. CONGRATULATIONS TO KEITH STEWART as he celebrates his 100th birthday on Thursday 23 February.
3. SPEAKING CHRISTIAN: PROGRESSIVE THEOLOGY 101. This course is now fully booked.
4. TONIGHT, SEA OF FAITH, from 7pm. With science invading some of the terrain of religion, Sea of Faith members sometimes appreciate a scientific view of the wonder of the universe. Our very own Ken Hulls will give an illustrated address on gravity, from Aristotle to Stephen Hawking. Time warps, dark matter, Klingons. Ken completed a PhD in physics, then switched to engineering but is getting a new enthusiasm for physics. Visitors and new members always welcome.
5. FIRST N THIRD MORNING TEA, Tuesday 21st February, 10.30am. All welcome.
6. PARISH COUNCIL meets Wednesday 22 February, 7.30pm.
7. BAPTISM. Next Sunday, 26th February as part of our morning service, Lauren Fong will be baptised. Lauren is a student at Victoria University and has grown up in Remuera.
8. ST LUKE’S CAMP AT MURIWAI. Join SLIKS and the Youth Group from 24 – 26th February for a fun weekend away to enjoy the outdoors, crafts, games, fellowship and friendship. All welcome. The camp accommodation cost for the weekend is $44 per person 5 years and over. Children under 5 years are free and day visitors are $22 pp. This is a well equipped all-weather camp in a secluded bush setting and about 40 minutes northwest of Auckland. There will be enough room for each family to have their own room with up to 6 bunks. For information and to register, contact Martin Needham email@example.com or on 027 624 4337. See camp website www.houghtonsbushcamp.co.nz
9. WORLD DAY OF PRAYER, Friday 3rd March, 10.30am at St Marks Anglican Church, 95 Remuera Road. The service has been prepared by women of the Philippines around the statement "Am I being fair to You?" The group organizing the service include representatives from all the churches "along the ridge". There is the opportunity for one or two St Lucans to briefly participate in the service. Anyone interested, please talk to Judy Nicholson.
10. THE ANNUAL ST LUKE’S BIKE RIDE, Saturday 4th March. To ring the changes, this year’s bike ride will be based here in Auckland. The ride will start in Henderson and use exclusive cycle and walking paths. First stop to a cafe 2km along the Te Atatu Peninsula for the obligatory coffee break and then back to the NW cycle way and down into town. Total distance is 26 kms. Options are to park in town and take bike on train to Henderson, or drive to Henderson, and take the train back after the drive. Train ride is free for Gold Card holders. Details including meet-up time and place to come soon. For more information and to register , please contact Carol firstname.lastname@example.org 520 0199 or 021 332 068.
11. INTER-FAITH DISCUSSION. On Sunday March 5th at 11am, there will be a discussion for anyone interested on our inter-faith activities at St Luke's. Currently we have two pilgrimages. The question is 'could we do more?' and 'what are other like-minded groups doing?' In regard to the latter question Glynn has invited Jocelyn Armstrong from the Religious Diversity Trust to be present.
12. AUCKLAND PRIDE FESTIVAL. Join the parade on Saturday 25th February 4-7pm. Under the banner of the Community of Saint Luke, and together with other Auckland inclusive churches, we join the Pride Parade to celebrate Auckland’s gender diversity. For meet-up details please register your interest by contacting David McNabb or Carol by Thursday 23rd February, email@example.com
13. ORGAN RECITAL WITH HANS HIELSCHER, world famous organist from Wiesbaden Cathedral in Germany. Also featuring piano and a violin trio. Takapuna Methodist Church, 429 Lake Rd. Saturday 25th February, 7.30pm. Entry by programme: Suggested donation $20. http://takapuna.methdist.org.nz/events
14. AFRICAN ART EXHIBITION. Burundi Empowerment Project photographic exhibition showing examples of the political and children rights in Burundi/Africa. Kinder House 2 Ayr Street, Cnr Ayr & Parnell St. Parnell. Open until 5th March, 9am-3pm. Parking is at 470 Parnell Rd at the rear of the Bellingham & Wallace & Coast Guard building (Take side entrance closest to Parnell).
AT ST LUKE’S THIS WEEK 19 - 26 FEBRUARY 2017
· WEDNESDAY, 12.30-1.30pm, mid-week communion
· THURSDAY, 10 – 12noon, Mah jong
· THURSDAY, 1 – 3pm, Knitwits – a knitting and craft group – all welcome
· THURSDAY, 7.30pm – Community Resource Team meeting
· FRIDAY, 10.30am – 11.30am, Centering Prayer
SUNDAY 26 FEBRUARY 2017
9.30am Community Worship
Liturgist – Jill Stotter Preacher – Glynn Cardy Duty Elder – Angela Murdoch
Readers – Valmai Trainor, Judith Ray Intercessions – Kerry Stotter
Organist – Tim Carpenter Flowers – Anne Fenwick
Crèche – Margaret Davidson
130 Remuera Road, Remuera, Auckland 1050
Community Centre & Church Office: Phone 520 0740
Minister: GLYNN CARDY 021 545 969; firstname.lastname@example.org
Community Programmes Manager: CAROL FRASER 520 0199; email@example.com
Youth Worker: MARIA CARDY 021 111 2592; firstname.lastname@example.org
Administrator: PAMELA DAY 520 0740; email@example.com
Parish Clerk: ANGELA MURDOCH: firstname.lastname@example.org
Parish Council Convener: DAVID McNABB; email@example.com
Envelope Secretary: MARGARET TIBBLES, 846 7682 (h); firstname.lastname@example.org
PASTORAL. If you know of anyone needing support, a listening ear, a phone call or a visit at home or in hospital,
please contact Pamela email@example.com
NEWCOMERS: Anyone wishing to become a member or associate of the Community of Saint Luke, or simply to join the mailing list, please check out the yellow form on the screen bench inside the church door.