THIS MORNING, 9.30am
Preacher – Glynn Cardy
Duty Elder – Barbara Smith Intercessions – Margaret Parr
Organist – Stephen Vincent Flowers – Margaret Agee
Readers – Gill Maxwell, Muriel Carruthers
Hospitality – Sandie Jost, Judy Nicholson, Ria & Josua Tan, George Dodd, Alan & Kathy Brown
SLIKS – Martin Needham, Rebecca Hayward Crèche – Vivienne Hayward
THIS WEEK WE PRAY FOR
World Council of Churches’ Calendar – Bolivia, Brazil, Chile, Peru
Within the Nation – ADDICTIONS. Drug addicts; alcoholics; gamblers; drug pushers; pornographers and those who watch; professionals and voluntary groups and individuals working to relieve addictions of all kinds
Within St Luke’s – Stephen Vincent; Helen Wadsworth & Nick Moore, Rosie, Matthew
NOTICES FOR SUNDAY 24 SEPTEMBER 2017
1. TODAY, the theme of our service is Refugees. As part of the service, Glynn will interview Tracey Barnett who has led the #500More campaign.
2. PEWS AND/OR CHAIRS DISCUSSION. A final opportunity to talk with each other about furniture in the church today at 11am. The decision/s will be made on 8th October at our Annual General Meeting.
3. TODAY AT 2pm, the Auckland Welsh Choir/Cor Cymreig will be singing both old favourites and new music by contemporary American composer Dan Forrest. Peka Totara Choir of One Tree Hill College will join the Auckland Welsh Choir in the programme, along with successful young music performance graduate and soloist, soprano Bernice Austin. Come along to support the Auckland Restorative Justice Trust to augment training of more volunteers in resolving/ responding creatively to domestic violence. Cost is $25 per person with a gold coin donation for afternoon tea. Enquiries to Dorothy McCarrison.
4. MYSTERIES OF THE UNIVERSE II concludes on Wednesday 4th October at 7.30pm.
5. SUFI PILGRIMAGE. Visit to the community of the Universal Sufi Path of Hazrat Inayat Khan. We are leaving from the church carpark at 7pm this Thursday. Please feel free to join us.
6. PET SUNDAY, 1st OCTOBER. You are invited to bring furry friends to church. For those whose furry friend is no longer alive – you are invited to bring a photo.
7. ST LUKE’S AGM SUNDAY 8th OCTOBER, 11.15am. There will be no communion on the 8th. Instead our communion Sunday in October will be the 15th.
8. ST LUKE’S DAY, SUNDAY 15th OCTOBER. The choir will be singing the Hamilton Mass, a guest preacher [Peter Matheson], and a community lunch afterwards. The theme of the service will be the 500th anniversary of the Protestant Reformation.
9. ADC’s ANNUAL QUIZ NIGHT IS BACK! Come along on Saturday 30th September, 6.30pm for a fun and entertaining evening of trivia, spot prizes, live and silent auctions and more! Freemans Bay Community Hall, 52 Hepburn Street, Freemans Bay. Tickets are $40 per person with teams of up to eight per table (or $300 for a whole table of eight). If you would like to be part of a St Luke’s team, please contact Pamela or sign the list at reception. Tickets can also be bought through Eventbrite here
10. SPANZ. Copies of the latest magazine are available in reception.
11. OFFERTORY COLLECTION. During August, instead of the usual collection bags being passed around during the Offertory Voluntary, we had a collection/koha box available. This was a trial period and the Worship Committee will now review it. If you wish to comment upon, or make a suggestion about this, please email Kathryn Jones firstname.lastname@example.org
12. COLIN McCAHON: ON THE ROAD. Inspired by Faith. 9 – 14 October, at Somervell Church. Free entry. www.somervell.org.nz/artweek
13. UPCOMING LECTURES.
On Tuesday 17th October 7.30pm, in conjunction with St Helier’s Presbyterian, we will be hosting a lecture by Peter Matheson titled "How do we speak about God? Authenticity for Martin Luther and for us."
On 2nd November 7.30pm, Hal Taussig, a professor for many years at Union Theological Seminary in New York, will be with us. His topic is " The First, Second, and 21st Centuries: More Spirit, Less Rules.”
14. HOSPITALITY TEAM FOR OCTOBER. Ken & Bridget Hulls, Penelope Stevenson, Muriel Carruthers, Roger Williams, Gill Maxwell, Rachel Goffin.
SUNDAY 1 OCTOBER 2017
9.30am – Community Worship
Liturgist – Penelope Stevenson Preacher – Glynn Cardy Duty Elder – Ken Hulls
Readers – Leo Hobbis, Glenda Tabuteau Intercessions – Rebecca Hayward
Organist – Stephen Vincent
130 Remuera Road, Remuera, Auckland 1050
Community Centre & Church Office: Phone 520 0740
Minister: GLYNN CARDY 021 545 969; email@example.com
Community Director: Colin Rose 520 0199 021 987 220; firstname.lastname@example.org
Administrator: PAMELA DAY 520 0740; email@example.com
Parish Council Convener: DAVID McNABB; firstname.lastname@example.org
Parish Clerk: ALEXA JOHNSTON email@example.com
Envelope Secretary: MARGARET TIBBLES, 846 7682 (h); firstname.lastname@example.org
PASTORAL. If you know of anyone needing support, a listening ear, a phone call or a visit at home or in hospital,
please Pamela email@example.com
NEWCOMERS: If you would like to know about the Community of Saint Luke, including membership, or simply to join the mailing list, please fill out the blue “Welcome to St Luke’s” form (in pews) and put in the box on the screen bench