THIS MORNING, 9.30am
Liturgist – Albert Numanga Minister – Glynn Cardy
Duty Elder – Trevor Mosley Organist – Tim Carpenter
Readers – Margaret Parr, Eric Parr Intercessions – Angela Murdoch
Hospitality – David & Elie Connor, Rii Hansen, Dorothy Connor, Noel McGrevy, Marjorie Blakeley
THIS WEEK WE PRAY FOR
World Council of Churches’ Calendar – Algeria, Libya, Morocco, Western Sahara, Tunisia
Within the Nation – WATER. Seas, rivers, lakes, ponds; water treatment plants; suppliers of water; fish, water reptiles; ships’ officers and crews; ship owners; sea travellers; people who fish; cargo and container handlers.
Within St Luke’s – Muriel Carruthers; David Caughey; Philip Clarke & Jane Wild; Bea Clarke, Seb Clarke
NOTICES FOR SUNDAY 29 JANUARY 2017
1. CONGRATULATIONS TO ROGER & KATHY HEY as they celebrate their Golden Wedding Anniversary this weekend.
2. SERMON DISCUSSION. Today at 11am, there will be a discussion on any matters raised in sermons in the last month.
3. THE 2017 PROGRAMME BROCHURE IS NOW AVAILABLE. You'll find it in the pews and around the community centre. You will notice it's not a booklet this year. The full booklet with more details and links for booking events will be available on our website very soon. Please take a small bundle of five brochures and distribute to neighbours, family and friends or better still take a bundle of 10 from the back of the church. Your help with distribution is much appreciated.
4. MEMBERS OF THE ST LUKE’S TRAMPING GROUP are away on their annual camp from today until Saturday 4th February.
5. 2017 SUNDAY ROSTER. The roster for Sunday duties from now until 31 March 2018 will be emailed next week. If you receive a copy, your name will be on it at least once so please make a note of your dates. Please arrange your own swaps if need be, and let Pamela know. A big thank you to Angela Murdoch and Barbara Smith for all their hard work.
6. MID WEEK COMMUNION resumes on Wednesday 1 February at 12.30pm.
7. ELDERS’ MEETING. On Sunday 12th February at 11am, there will be meeting for all the elders of the Church. If you were ordained in another parish you are also welcome. The purpose of the meeting is two-fold: to talk about pastoral care, and receive your feedback about any aspect of our parish life.
8. THE KNOX CENTRE LECTURE. 'Coming to our Senses: The Spirituality of Wine’. A new initiative for the inaugural lecture of the year by bringing it to Auckland and Wellington, and to experiment with more creative content and partnerships to reach a wider audience. Maclaurin Chapel, Monday 13th February at 5.45pm. In a lively combination of lecture and wine tasting, Dr Gisela Kreglinger weaves an exploration of Christian spirituality and the nature of wine. With centuries old family background in wine-making (Franconia), and a doctorate in theology from St Andrews University, Scotland, Gisela helps to connect theologies of joy, creation and an embodied spiritual life. Entry by ticket that can be bought online here.
9. ST LUKE’S CAMP AT MURIWAI. Join SLIKS and the Youth Group from 24 – 26th February for a fun weekend away to enjoy the outdoors, crafts, games, fellowship and friendship. All welcome. For information and to register, contact Martin Needham email@example.com or on 027 624 4337. See camp website www.houghtonsbushcamp.co.nz
10. AUCKLAND PRIDE FESTIVAL. Join the parade on Saturday 25th February 4-7pm. Under the banner of the Community of Saint Luke, and together with other Auckland inclusive churches, we join the Pride Parade to celebrate Auckland’s gender diversity. For meet-up details please register your interest by contacting David McNabb or Carol by Thursday 23rd February, firstname.lastname@example.org
11. KEITH STEWART TURNS 100 IN FEBRUARY! If you know Keith, or have worked with him in his many years at St Luke’s, and would like to be invited to his birthday celebration, please sign the list at reception as an indication of interest. Keith has expressed the wish that no presents be given to him, but a donation towards the organ fund would be appropriate if you would like to mark his birthday. Please note this is an invitation only event.
12. SPEAKING CHRISTIAN: PROGRESSIVE THEOLOGY 101. This is an introductory course led by Glynn on some of the central concepts of the Christian Progressive movement – namely the Bible, Sin, Easter, and Creeds. Prior to each session there will be a ten page chapter to read from Marcus Borg’s book Speaking Christian. The course is limited to eight people. Four Tuesday evenings 7.30–9pm. February 28th, March 7th, 21st, & 28th. Cost $10 for the series to cover costs. Please sign the list at reception.
13. CONCERT FOR KAIKOURA EARTHQUAKE RELIEF FUND. On Waitangi Day Monday, 6th February at 3pm, there will be a recital of piano music by Douglas Lilburn at St Barnabas Church, 283 Mt Eden Rd. Admission by programme $25, $20. Contact Geoffrey Hinds 630 3267, or email@example.com
14. KINDNESS MATTERS. Tired of being constantly stressed and hard on yourself? You are not alone, and there IS something you can do about it. Might be time to learn about mindfulness and self-compassion. Many scientific studies now show that learning to be more mindful and self-compassionate helps increase wellbeing and resilience, improves your relationships, and has powerful and lasting effects on mental health. Health Psychologist Anna Friis is offering two new eight-week courses in Mindful Self-Compassion training this year. The first is being held on Monday mornings (starting Monday February 20), with the second on Tuesday evenings (starting February 21). See www.centerformsc.org for more course details or www.annafriis.com. Email to firstname.lastname@example.org to enrol. Course costs are $400 all inclusive.
15. INTER-FAITH DISCUSSION. On Sunday March 5th at 11am, there will be a discussion for anyone interested on our inter-faith activities at St Luke's. Currently we have two pilgrimages. The question is 'could we do more?' and 'what are other like-minded groups doing?' In regard to the latter question Glynn has invited Jocelyn Armstrong from the Religious Diversity Trust to be present.
16. HOSPITALITY TEAM FOR FEBRUARY. John & Valmai Trainor, Jim Feist, Karen Fehl, Margaret Tibbles, Angela Murdoch.
AT ST LUKE’S THIS WEEK 29 JANUARY – 5 FEBRUARY 2017
· MONDAY – Auckland’s Anniversary Day – centre closed
· WEDNESDAY, 7.30-9pm, Community Development Team meets
· THURSDAY, 10 – 12noon, Mah jong
· THURSDAY, 1 – 3pm, Knitwits – a knitting and craft group – all welcome
· FRIDAY, 10.30am – 11.30am, Centering Prayer
SUNDAY 5 FEBRUARY 2017
9.30am Community Worship
Liturgist – Noeline Creighton Preacher – Glynn Cardy Duty Elder – Rebecca Hayward
Readers – Gloria Jenkins, Noeline Creighton Intercessions – Glynn Cardy
Organist – Stephen Vincent
130 Remuera Road, Remuera, Auckland 1050
Community Centre & Church Office: Phone 520 0740
Minister: GLYNN CARDY 021 545 969; email@example.com
Community Programmes Manager: CAROL FRASER 520 0199; firstname.lastname@example.org
Youth Worker: MARIA CARDY 021 111 2592; email@example.com
Administrator: PAMELA DAY 520 0740; firstname.lastname@example.org
Parish Clerk: ANGELA MURDOCH: email@example.com
Parish Council Convener: DAVID McNABB; firstname.lastname@example.org
Envelope Secretary: MARGARET TIBBLES, 846 7682 (h); email@example.com
PASTORAL. If you know of anyone needing support, a listening ear, a phone call or a visit at home or in hospital,
please contact Pamela firstname.lastname@example.org
NEWCOMERS: Anyone wishing to become a member or associate of the Community of Saint Luke, or simply to join the mailing list, please check out the yellow form on the screen bench inside the church door.