THIS MORNING, 9.30am
Liturgist – Noeline Creighton Minister – Glynn Cardy
Duty Elder – Rebecca Hayward Organist – Stephen Vincent Flowers – Angela Murdoch
Readers – Gloria Jenkins, Noeline Creighton Intercessions – Glynn Cardy
Hospitality – John & Valmai Trainor, Jim Feist, Karen Fehl, Margaret Tibbles
THIS WEEK WE PRAY FOR
World Council of Churches’ Calendar – Andorra, Italy, Malta, Portugal, San Marino, Spain,
Vatican City, Austria, Liechtenstein, Switzerland
Within the Nation – CREATIVITY. Writers, artists, musicians; actors, directors, designers and crews in film and theatre;
dancers; teachers of dance, drama & music
Within St Luke’s – Andrew & Sarah Colgan; Annie Tavalea & George; Pip Colgan
NOTICES FOR SUNDAY 5 FEBRUARY 2017
1. GLYNN is on leave this week, returning Saturday 11th February.
2. THE 2017 PROGRAMME BROCHURE IS NOW ONLINE. You'll also find brochures in the pews and around the community centre. Please take a small bundle of five brochures and distribute to neighbours, family and friends or better still take a bundle of 10 from the back of the church. Your help with distribution is much appreciated.
3. 2017 SUNDAY ROSTER. If you have received an email with the 2017-2018 roster for Sunday duties, your name will be on it at least once so make a note of your dates. Please arrange your own swaps if need be, and let Pamela know.
4. CONCERT FOR KAIKOURA EARTHQUAKE RELIEF FUND. On Waitangi Day Monday, 6th February at 3pm, there will be a recital of piano music by Douglas Lilburn at St Barnabas Church, 283 Mt Eden Rd. Admission by programme $25, $20. Contact Geoffrey Hinds 630 3267, or email@example.com
5. FIRST N THIRD MORNING TEA, Tuesday 7 February, 10.30am. All welcome.
6. YOUTH GROUP resumes Thursday 9th February, 6.30-8.30pm. SLIKS resumes on Sunday 12th February.
7. ELDERS’ MEETING. On Sunday 12th February at 11am, there will be meeting for all the elders of the Church. If you were ordained in another parish you are also welcome. The purpose of the meeting is two-fold: to talk about pastoral care, and receive your feedback about any aspect of our parish life.
8. THE KNOX CENTRE LECTURE. 'Coming to our Senses: The Spirituality of Wine’. A new initiative for the inaugural lecture of the year by bringing it to Auckland and Wellington, and to experiment with more creative content and partnerships to reach a wider audience. Maclaurin Chapel, Monday 13th February at 5.45pm. In a lively combination of lecture and wine tasting, Dr Gisela Kreglinger weaves an exploration of Christian spirituality and the nature of wine. With centuries old family background in wine-making (Franconia), and a doctorate in theology from St Andrews University, Scotland, Gisela helps to connect theologies of joy, creation and an embodied spiritual life. Entry by ticket that can be bought online here.
9. THE HEROIC GARDEN FESTIVAL, Saturday and Sunday 18th & 19th February. Twenty-two gardens will be on display, seven in the Coatesville area but the others are mainly in and around Freemans Bay and Mt Eden. Valmai and John Trainor have two tickets which they are now unable to use and would like to offer them to anyone who might be interested to see the gardens. They are happy for the recipient to make a donation towards the Organ Fund. Ring John or Valmai on 524 5907 or see them after church on Sunday.
10. ST LUKE’S CAMP AT MURIWAI. Join SLIKS and the Youth Group from 24 – 26th February for a fun weekend away to enjoy the outdoors, crafts, games, fellowship and friendship. All welcome. The camp accommodation cost for the weekend is $44 per person 5 years and over. Children under 5 years are free and day visitors are $22 pp. This is a well equipped all-weather camp in a secluded bush setting and about 40 minutes northwest of Auckland. There will be enough room for each family to have their own room with up to 6 bunks. For information and to register, contact Martin Needham firstname.lastname@example.org or on 027 624 4337. See camp website www.houghtonsbushcamp.co.nz
11. AUCKLAND PRIDE FESTIVAL. Join the parade on Saturday 25th February 4-7pm. Under the banner of the Community of Saint Luke, and together with other Auckland inclusive churches, we join the Pride Parade to celebrate Auckland’s gender diversity. For meet-up details please register your interest by contacting David McNabb or Carol by Thursday 23rd February, email@example.com
12. EAST TAMAKI READING SUPPORTERS. Do you have confidence and rapport with primary school children? St Luke’s has an outreach group of volunteers who give individual support and encouragement to struggling readers at East Tamaki School, every Thursday morning. We recommence on February 16th. We invite others to join us. You need your own transport and a commitment to the work term by term throughout the year, barring unforeseen difficulties. Contact Rosalie Lockwood for more information. [Ph.849 3492; email firstname.lastname@example.org]
13. KEITH STEWART TURNS 100 IN FEBRUARY! If you know Keith, or have worked with him in his many years at St Luke’s, and would like to be invited to his birthday celebration, please sign the list at reception as an indication of interest. Keith has expressed the wish that no presents be given to him, but a donation towards the organ fund would be appropriate if you would like to mark his birthday. Please note this is an invitation only event.
14. SPEAKING CHRISTIAN: PROGRESSIVE THEOLOGY 101. This is an introductory course led by Glynn on some of the central concepts of the Christian Progressive movement – namely the Bible, Sin, Easter, and Creeds. Prior to each session there will be a ten page chapter to read from Marcus Borg’s book Speaking Christian. The course is limited to eight people. Four Tuesday evenings 7.30–9pm. February 28th, March 7th, 21st, & 28th. Cost $10 for the series to cover costs. Please sign the list at reception.
15. KINDNESS MATTERS. Tired of being constantly stressed and hard on yourself? You are not alone, and there IS something you can do about it. Might be time to learn about mindfulness and self-compassion. Many scientific studies now show that learning to be more mindful and self-compassionate helps increase wellbeing and resilience, improves your relationships, and has powerful and lasting effects on mental health. Health Psychologist Anna Friis is offering two new eight-week courses in Mindful Self-Compassion training this year. The first is being held on Monday mornings (starting Monday February 20), with the second on Tuesday evenings (starting February 21). See www.centerformsc.org for more course details or www.annafriis.com. Email to email@example.com to enrol. Course costs are $400 all inclusive.
16. INTER-FAITH DISCUSSION. On Sunday March 5th at 11am, there will be a discussion for anyone interested on our inter-faith activities at St Luke's. Currently we have two pilgrimages. The question is 'could we do more?' and 'what are other like-minded groups doing?' In regard to the latter question Glynn has invited Jocelyn Armstrong from the Religious Diversity Trust to be present.
AT ST LUKE’S THIS WEEK 5 - 12 FEBRUARY 2017
· MONDAY – Waitangi Day – centre closed
· THURSDAY, 10 – 12noon, Mah jong
· THURSDAY, 1 – 3pm, Knitwits – a knitting and craft group – all welcome
· FRIDAY, 10.30am – 11.30am, Centering Prayer
SUNDAY 12 FEBRUARY 2017
9.30am Community Worship
Liturgist – Angela Murdoch Preacher – Glynn Cardy Duty Elder – Andrew Colgan
Serving elders – Alexa Johnston, Ken Hulls, Rebecca Hayward, Trevor Mosley, Margaret Parr, Andrew Colgan
Readers – Olinda Woodroffe, Colin Woodroffe Intercessions – Eric Parr
Organist – Tim Carpenter Flowers – Anne Baird
130 Remuera Road, Remuera, Auckland 1050
Community Centre & Church Office: Phone 520 0740
Minister: GLYNN CARDY 021 545 969; firstname.lastname@example.org
Community Programmes Manager: CAROL FRASER 520 0199; email@example.com
Youth Worker: MARIA CARDY 021 111 2592; firstname.lastname@example.org
Administrator: PAMELA DAY 520 0740; email@example.com
Parish Clerk: ANGELA MURDOCH: firstname.lastname@example.org
Parish Council Convener: DAVID McNABB; email@example.com
Envelope Secretary: MARGARET TIBBLES, 846 7682 (h); firstname.lastname@example.org
PASTORAL. If you know of anyone needing support, a listening ear, a phone call or a visit at home or in hospital,
please contact Pamela email@example.com
NEWCOMERS: Anyone wishing to become a member or associate of the Community of Saint Luke, or simply to join the mailing list, please check out the yellow form on the screen bench inside the church door.