THIS MORNING, 9.30am
Liturgist – Val Hungerford Preacher – Glynn Cardy Duty Elder – Geoff Olliff
Serving elders – Allan Davidson, Alexa Johnston, Sandie Jost, Nick Paschalis,
Lyn MacKinlay, Geoff Olliff
Readers – Trevor Mosley, Bev Mosley Intercessions – Margaret Parr
Organist – Stephen Vincent Flowers – Margaret Agee
Hospitality – Rebecca Hayward & Neil Wright, Sally Ibbertson, Barbara Smith, Anne Baird, Rona Young, Joanne Wills
SLIKS – Helen Wadsworth & Margaret Davidson
THIS WEEK WE PRAY FOR
World Council of Churches’ Calendar – Indian Ocean Islands: Comoros, Madagascar, Maldives, Mauritius, Seychelles
Within the Nation – NEW NEW ZEALANDERS. Recent immigrants; refugees and asylum seekers; charities and churches caring for them; immigration officers; immigration agents.
Within St Luke’s – Catherine & James Kerr, Charlotte, Libby & Thomas
NOTICES FOR SUNDAY 20th MAY 2018
1. THE CHURCHES IN NZ IN THE INTER-WAR PERIOD (c1918-c1940) concludes Tuesday 22nd May at 7.30pm. Ecumenical beginnings leading the formation of the National Council of Churches
2. YOUTH GROUP meets today, 5 – 6.30pm. Time for a Harry Potter fix!
3. TODAY at 4pm, “SAMUEL MARSDEN: EMPIRE BUILDER OR PEACEMAKER?” Sea of Faith invites you to hear two of their members, Peter Hendriksen and Rob McKay shine a fresh light on this topic. Peter’s great, great-grandfather James Shepherd was the son of deported convicts at Parramatta, near Sydney, and when he was 10 years old he went sailing on Samuel Marsden's ship, to learn navigation. Rob is part Maori and will introduce the perspectives of three Maori chiefs at that time, including Ruatara, who invited Marsden to preach there, and acted as his translator.
4. THE AUCKLAND YOUTH CHOIR (including our very own Chris Winder) is hosting acclaimed Welsh composer, Paul Mealor, and will be performing his first Symphony, “Passiontide” on 26th May at Holy Trinity Cathedral, 8pm. Tickets for $15 can be purchased online.
5. PRESBYTERIAN SUPPORT IS SEEKING:
Household Items to support a solo father of 5 children who have recently moved from Kawerau. The family is currently sleeping on the floor of their new 3 bedroom home in Clendon Park. Can you help with the following? linen - towels – sheets; fridge; pots and pans; table and chairs; beds for 3 bedrooms; TV if possible; lawn mower if possible; boys clothes medium size & size 8-10 boys clothes
Women’s clothing for a prisoner from Uruguay with little support and limited English
Warm blankets for one of the Out of Gate mothers for her three children
Items may be dropped off to St Luke’s
6. A NEW LGBT+ CHRISTIAN ALLIANCE GROUP has started at the University of Auckland. Its goal is to provide a space for LGBT+ Christians and support people to connect and explore their faith, gender, and sexuality. Anyone interested in joining can email Lgbtchristiansuoa@gmail.com, or join the Facebook page. Next meeting is on Monday 28th May at 5.30pm in Arts 1 Room 203. All welcome.
7. LAWS OF THE HEART. In June, Glynn will lead a reading group on Joan Chittister’s book The Ten Commandments: Laws of the heart. The group will meet at 7.30 pm on June 5th, 12th, 19th, and 26th. Joan has been a leading voice in contemporary spirituality for many decades, and has written many book. She is a feisty Benedictine nun who has regularly challenged popes and cardinals. In The Ten Commandments she sets aside the rule-based approach to religion and interprets them as inviting us into a spiritual way of life that respects our neighbours and ourselves. Register at reception.
For our Prayers:
Alison and Bruce Miller
Please note that the people above have given permission for this information to be shared.
VISITORS: If you would like to know about the Community of Saint Luke, including membership, or simply to join the mailing list, please fill out the blue “Welcome to St Luke’s” form (in pews) and put in the box on the screen bench
SUNDAY 27th MAY 2018 – TRINITY SUNDAY
9.30am – Community Worship
Liturgist – TBC Preacher – Allan Davidson Duty Elder – TBC
Readers – TBC, Heather Holmes Intercessions – Barbara Smith
Organist – Grant Hutchinson SLIKS – Margaret Parr & Gill Maxwell
130 Remuera Road, Remuera, Auckland 1050
Community Centre & Church Office: Phone 520 0740
Minister: GLYNN CARDY 021 545 969; email@example.com
Community Director: COLIN ROSE 520 0199 021 987 220; firstname.lastname@example.org
Administrator: PAMELA DAY 520 0740; email@example.com
Parish Council Convener: DAVID McNABB; firstname.lastname@example.org
Parish Clerk: KEN HULLS email@example.com
Envelope Secretary: MARGARET TIBBLES, 846 7682 (h); firstname.lastname@example.org
PASTORAL. If you know of anyone needing support, a listening ear, a phone call or a visit at home or in hospital.
please contact Pamela email@example.com