THIS MORNING, 9.30am
Liturgist – Albert Numanga Preacher – Graham Whaley Duty Elder – Penelope Stevenson
Readers – Sally Ibbertson, Robin Flynn Intercessions – Allan Davidson
SLIKS – Helen Wadsworth & Viv Hayward
Hospitality – Curt & Megan Davidson, Lynn Maude, Olinda & Colin Woodroffe, Noel McGrevy
THIS WEEK WE PRAY FOR
World Council of Churches’ Calendar – Ireland, England, Northern Ireland, Scotland, Wales
Within the Nation – FAMILY. Healthy & happy families; victims of abuse and violence; those with marriage difficulties; the divorced or separated; the widowed; working parents; same-sex parents and couples; single parents; marriage counsellors and providers of pre-marriage education; the engaged.
Within St Luke’s – Gerri Cruz; Allan & Margaret Davidson, & family; Curt & Megan Davidson; George Dodd;
Joan Dow; Lexie Duff; Margery Dwerryhouse; Pam Elgar & David McNabb
NOTICES FOR SUNDAY 4th MARCH 2018
1. TODAY, the Reverend Graham Whaley will be leading our service while Glynn and a number of intrepid St Lucans are huffing and puffing their way by bike from Paihia to the Hokianga this weekend.
2. 2018 COMMUNITY PROGRAMME. Printed fliers are in reception. Online version can be viewed here
3. FIRST N THIRD MORNING TEA, Tuesday 6th March, 10.30am. All welcome.
4. INTERFAITH PRILGRIMAGE. Our first Interfaith Pilgrimage this year will be to the Zarathustrian Community (sometimes called Zoroastrian) on the evening of 21st March (their New Year's Day). Next Sunday, 11th March, at 11am, a leader from their community will come to St Luke's and talk about their faith and practice. If you are interested in coming, sign the list in reception, or email Pamela.
5. COMPASSIONATE JUSTICE. Four sessions on the book Compassionate Justice by Chris Marshall. The group will look at the Parable of the Good Samaritan and its correlation with the issues of restorative justice and penal policy. Led by Glynn Cardy. Four Tuesday evenings beginning 6th March at 7.30pm. Cost $10 for the series to cover costs. Please sign the list at reception. The reading for the first session is now available – ask Glynn or Pamela.
6. ST LUKE’S PICNIC / BBQ AT LONG BAY, Saturday 10th March from 9am. All welcome at have Long Bay Regional Park ‘Site 2’. BYO food. Contact Martin Needham firstname.lastname@example.org or on 027 624 4337. See website. Glynn will be organising the after-lunch games – egg-and-spoon, sack, and three-legged races. If you would like to help with that please contact him email@example.com
7. SOUP KITCHEN. Come and share a meal of homemade soup, rolls and fruit with fellow St Lucans on Friday 16th March from 6-8pm. Bring along a companion if you would like to enjoy a relaxing evening together. If you have a book or CD you would like others to enjoy, please bring them along for the exchange table. Please sign the list at reception. Cost $10.
8. PHOTO-BOARD. As suggested at our Mission & Ministry discussions last year, we would like to create a photo-board for the entrance way into the church where photos of individual parishioners (with names underneath) can be displayed in order to assist, particularly new members, to know who is who. You may have an existing photo of yourself suitable for this, or you may like Roger Williams to take one of you (thank you Roger for offering to do this). Of course you may also wish not to have a photo of yourself displayed. We are looking for someone to coordinate this small project.
9. WEDDING ASSISTANT. If you would like to help with a wedding on Saturday 17th March, please contact Pamela. Duties include closing the centre at the end of the day, and answering any questions the wedding party may have.
10. OBOE & PIANO RECITAL. As part of our Holy Week this year on Wednesday 28th March, 7.30pm, there will be music by Mozart - Clara Schumann - Benjamin Britten – Pasculli ; played by oboist Thomas Hutchinson and pianist Betty Lee. Door sales only: Adult $20, Student/Senior $15. Music by. More info about the performers can be found here. Thomas’ family are well known in Auckland Presbyterian circles.
11. ADC GALA DINNER & AUCTION, Saturday 7th April, 6pm. Microfinance is a lifeline in communities like Kalaymyo, Myanmar (where ZMF Bank operates), because of otherwise prohibitive interest rates. Many people are forced to turn to loan sharks and pawn shops, where interest rates can exceed a frightening 200% per annum. ADC's micro loans give skilled, enterprising communities another option. You are invited to join the ADC team at this celebratory event. If you would like to be part of a St Luke’s table, please contact Pamela. Tickets are $140 pp. More info here or check out ADC’s website www.adc.org.nz
12. SPANZ. Copies of the latest magazine are in reception.
13. 2018 ROSTER. The roster for readers/liturgist/pray-ers/hospitality for the next 12 months is being drawn up. If you would like to help in any of these roles, please contact Pamela or Barbara Smith. For those who are relatively new to the parish, each hospitality team is on for one month a year [so the commitment is to 4 or 5 consecutive Sundays]. Regarding reading, leading prayers, etc – anyone who would like to be involved, regardless of how long you have been here, is most welcome – and assistance/coaching is available if needed.
NOTES FROM FEBRUARY’S PARISH COUNCIL MEETING
Following the Mission and Ministry consultation at the end of last year, the minister had prepared a report, summarizing the input received, and responses. A draft of this had been circulated and commented on by PC members and the final report was approved at the meeting. This will sent out to members next week.
An outcome from the consultations were requests for regular information on the church role and finances. It was discussed and agreed that commencing this month (February) an update of the church role number, and the summary of financials would be included with the meeting minutes, which are now posted on line.
A further request from the consultation meetings was the establishment of a ‘gallery’ of photos of members, to facilitate members getting to know each other. The PC agreed to proceed with this forthwith. It is by no means compulsory and members are free to not participate.
As has been previously reported it has not been possible to find a suitable candidate as youth worker. However Rebecca and Glynn have continued to work at this and following a recent meeting with parents and children a small youth group has now be established. This will initially meet fortnightly and be run by Rebecca and Glynn.
The request from time to time, including again at the consultation meetings, for an additional and regular alternative (to Sunday Worship) service is now to be actively addressed. Input on members’ specific views on this will be sought during an after-church meeting on March 25th.
Minutes of the December meeting will be on the website next week
For our Prayers:
The family and friends of Judith and the Reverend Noel Brown. Judith died this week at home in Christchurch.
Marjory Ramage is recovering from a fever.
Please note that the people above have given permission for this information to be shared.
VISITORS: If you would like to know about the Community of Saint Luke, including membership, or simply to join the mailing list, please fill out the blue “Welcome to St Luke’s” form (in pews) and put in the box on the screen bench
SUNDAY 11th MARCH 2018
9.30am – Community Worship
Liturgist – Penelope Stevenson Preacher – Glynn Cardy Duty Elder – David Boswell
Serving elders – John Trainor, Valmai Trainor, David Boswell, Lyn MacKinlay, Alexa Johnston, Noel McGrevy
Readers – Stephen Styants, Anne Baird Intercessions – Bruce Miller
Organist – Grant Hutchinson SLIKs – Rebecca Hayward & Alan Hayward
130 Remuera Road, Remuera, Auckland 1050
Community Centre & Church Office: Phone 520 0740
Minister: GLYNN CARDY 021 545 969; firstname.lastname@example.org
Community Director: COLIN ROSE 520 0199 021 987 220; email@example.com
Administrator: PAMELA DAY 520 0740; firstname.lastname@example.org
Parish Council Convener: DAVID McNABB; email@example.com
Parish Clerk: KEN HULLS firstname.lastname@example.org
Envelope Secretary: MARGARET TIBBLES, 846 7682 (h); email@example.com
PASTORAL. If you know of anyone needing support, a listening ear, a phone call or a visit at home or in hospital,
please contact Pamela firstname.lastname@example.org