THIS MORNING 9.30am
Liturgist – Sue Olliff Preacher – Glynn Cardy Duty Elder – Alexa Johnston
Reader – Bruce Miller Intercessions – David McNabb
Organist – Grant Hutchinson Flowers – Anne Baird
Hospitality – Ken & Bridget Hulls, Penelope Stevenson, Muriel Carruthers, oger Williams, Gill Maxwell, Rachel Goffin
THIS WEEK WE PRAY FOR
World Council of Churches’ Calendar – Costa Rica, El Salvador, Nicaragua, Panama
Within the Nation – GOVERNMENT. The Queen; the Governor General; Prime Minister and Government; members of Parliament; mayors and local body councillors, others in elected office; public servants.
Within St Luke’s – Maria & Peter Winder and family
NOTICES FOR SUNDAY 8th OCTOBER 2017
1. TODAY, ST LUKE’S AGM at 11.00 am. The Annual Financial Report and annual reports from the conveners of all St Luke’s teams are available at the AGM. The parish contact booklet will now be available next Sunday, 15th October. Any changes of address, email or phone numbers to Pamela before Wednesday please.
2. ST LUKE’S DAY, SUNDAY 15th OCTOBER. The choir will be singing the Hamilton Mass, a guest preacher [Peter Matheson], and a shared community lunch afterwards. The theme of the service will be the 500th anniversary of the Protestant Reformation.
3. ST LUKE’S DAY LUNCH, Sunday 15th October. For catering purposes, please RSVP by Thursday 12th October to Pamela, or sign the list at reception. Surnames A-O to bring salads, P-V to bring a sweet treat for coffee, W-Z to bring bread/rolls/pull-aparts. If you can help on the day to set up, cook, serve wine, or clean up, please contact Sue Olliff email@example.com
4. ILLUMINA, Music of Light. A concert in aid of the organ restoration fund featuring stunning choral music by Harris, Holst, Rutter, Tallis, Whitacre and others. Sunday 15th October, 5pm. Tickets with preferential seating can be purchased from Pamela. $20 waged, $15 unwaged, children free. Door sales available. Enquiries to firstname.lastname@example.org
5. NEW MEMBER. At September’s Parish Council meeting, Stephanie Murdoch’s application to become a member of the Community of Saint Luke was approved.
6. UPCOMING LECTURES.
On Tuesday 17th October 7.30pm, in conjunction with St Helier’s Presbyterian, we will be hosting a lecture by Peter Matheson titled "How do we speak about God? Authenticity for Martin Luther and for us." Entry by donation.
On 2nd November 7.30pm, Hal Taussig, a professor for many years at Union Theological Seminary in New York, will be with us. His topic is " The First, Second, and 21st Centuries: More Spirit, Less Rules.”
7. DOROTHY BROWN MEMORIAL LECTURE, Friday 13th October, 7.30pm. Presented by Maire Leadbeater, long time peace activist: “Nuclear free New Zealand at 30: historic achievement compromised by ‘follow the leader’ foreign and defence policy”. All welcome – no bookings necessary. Bishop Selwyn Chapel, Holy Trinity Cathedral, Parnell, Auckland.
STUDY DAY, Saturday 14th October, 8.30am to 5pm. More information on the notice board in reception.
8. SEA OF FAITH, Sunday 15th October from 7pm. Rabbi Lord Jonathan Sacks is proposing and advocating solutions to mounting religious intolerance. How we can face the future without fear, together? Gold coin donation for visitors.
Annual Conference Registrations still open. This year’s Conference is from 6 to 8 November at the Silverstream Conference Centre, Lower Hutt. Keynote speakers will be:
Sir Lloyd Geering “500 years: From Reformation of the Church to the Reformation of the Christian Faith”
Hal Taussig from the Westar Institute “Reformation within the Christian Church and the Progressive Christian take on this”.
Rachael Kohn from ABC Radio Australia. “A wider view on the need for reform in the world’s religions, we hope including Islam, Judaism, and also within the Catholic Church.”
Sue Bradford, former politician “Making it Real: Beyond Reformation to Transformation in Aotearoa 2017”
Registration details available at www.sof.org.nz
9. CONSULTATION ON MISSION AND MINISTRY. In November we will be offering three opportunities for parishioners to come together to share views about what we could do/offer in future, what has been good in the past, and what we could do better. This will significantly help Parish Council as we launch into 2018. We are calling this ‘Consultation on Mission and Ministry’. In order that we hear from as many people as possible, there will be two after church discussions [11 am on November 4th and 19th], and one mid-week discussion [7.30pm November 14th]. As with our recent consultation on pews/chairs, the intention is that everyone has the opportunity to attend one of these discussions.
10. VISITING ELDER PROGRAMME. We have now instigated a Visiting Elder Programme in the parish. 31 of our elders have offered to each be in contact with a small group of parishioners three times per year. The intention of the programme is to keep in touch with as many people as possible. Please note it is not a reporting or feedback system – indeed the conversations you have with a visiting elder are confidential, unless you wish something to be told to me or the Pastoral Care team [and then it will also be treated confidentially]. If you don’t wish to be contacted by an elder please inform me. My hope is that for both the elder and the person being visited/contacted the experience will be enjoyable. Kind regards, Glynn
11. GUEST PREACHER. Our preacher and supply minister for Sunday 22nd October will be the Revd Ian Kilgour. Ian is an honorary associate minister at St Helier’s Presbyterian. For many years, Ian was in charge of the Social Policy Unit for the Salvation Army.
SUNDAY 15 OCTOBER 2017
9.30am – Community Worship
Liturgist – David McNabb Preacher – Glynn Cardy Duty Elder – David McNabb
Serving elders – Allan Davidson, Geoff Olliff, Sue Olliff, Dorothy McCarrison, Bev Mosley, Trevor Mosley
Readers – Judy Nicholson, Annette Hood Intercessions – Allan Davidson
Organist – Grant Hutchinson
130 Remuera Road, Remuera, Auckland 1050
Community Centre & Church Office: Phone 520 0740
Minister: GLYNN CARDY 021 545 969; email@example.com
Community Director: Colin Rose 520 0199 021 987 220; firstname.lastname@example.org
Administrator: PAMELA DAY 520 0740; email@example.com
Parish Council Convener: DAVID McNABB; firstname.lastname@example.org
Parish Clerk: KEN HULLS email@example.com
Envelope Secretary: MARGARET TIBBLES, 846 7682 (h); firstname.lastname@example.org
PASTORAL. If you know of anyone needing support, a listening ear, a phone call or a visit at home or in hospital,
please contact Pamela email@example.com
NEWCOMERS: If you would like to know about the Community of Saint Luke, including membership, or simply to join the mailing list, please fill out the blue “Welcome to St Luke’s” form (in pews) and put in the box on the screen bench