THIS MORNING, 9.30am
Liturgist – Kathryn Jones Preacher – Glynn Cardy Duty Elder – Alexa Johnston
Readers – Alan Hayward, Viv Hayward Cantor & Intercessions – Neil Wright
Organist – Stephen Vincent Flowers – Anne Baird
Hospitality – Allan & Margaret Davidson, Rosalie Lockwood, Judith Prowse, Joy Lamb, Annette Hood
SLIKS – Rebecca Hayward & Viv Hayward
THIS WEEK WE PRAY FOR
World Council of Churches’ Calendar – Lesotho, Namibia, South Africa, Swaziland
Within the Nation – FAITH. Leaders of the churches; leaders of other faiths; people of faith; theologians and teachers; evangelists; ministers and priests, rabbis, imams; members of religious orders; critics of religion; sceptics; atheists; those searching for meaning; the new spiritualities and their followers; people without hope.
Within St Luke’s – Kate Leslie; Andrew Lightfoot & family
NOTICES FOR SUNDAY 3rd JUNE 2018
1. LAWS OF THE HEART. Starting next Tues night [5th June], Glynn will lead a reading group on Joan Chittister’s book The Ten Commandments: Laws of the heart. [Copies of the first section are available to pick up in Church this Sunday]. The group will meet at 7.30 pm on June 5th, 12th, 19th, and 26th. Joan has been a leading voice in contemporary spirituality for many decades, and has written many book. She is a feisty Benedictine nun who has regularly challenged popes and cardinals. In The Ten Commandments she sets aside the rule-based approach to religion and interprets them as inviting us into a spiritual way of life that respects our neighbours and ourselves. Register at reception.
2. FESTIVAL ORGAN CONCERT, today at 2 pm - Peter Wright (Southward Cathedral, London). A diversity of moods, periods, styles and colours played on New Zealand’s largest pipe organ. Holy Trinity Cathedral, Parnell. Adults $30, Children FREE, Students (secondary/tertiary) with ID FREE. Admission at door – EFTPOS/Credit Card available
3. VESPERS SERVICE, today 5.30 – 6.15pm. A service of psalms and readings with choir. St Mary’s at Holy Trinity, Parnell. Our very own Stephen Vincent will be playing the organ for the opening and closing voluntaries.
4. NEXT SUNDAY, 10th JUNE, we will have a guest choir of 24 voices with us. David Hamilton is the conductor of a new boys’ choir at Auckland Grammar School called 'Grammarphonics'. If you are able to bring along food to complement a morning tea, we would be most grateful. Note, the Communion Service this month will be on the 3rd Sunday, 17th June.
5. YOUTH GROUP BAKE SALE after church next Sunday, 10th June. We are still finalising which charity this will be for. If anyone would like to bring baked goodies along for sale (to be held in the foyer), we would be very grateful for the help. Contact Rebecca Hayward on 820 0211 with any questions. Youth Group meets next Sunday 5 – 6.30pm.
6. WAIRUA SINFONIETTA presents “HARMONY”, Saturday 16th June 5.30 - 6.30pm, here at St Luke’s. Mendelssohn - Violin Concerto in E minor Op. 64; SUK - String Serenade. With Helene Pohl on violin & conductor Elizabeth Lau. Proceeds from the concert go towards Arohanui Strings Sistema Hutt Valley and Tironui Music Trust. Adults $30 | Senior $20 | Students $10 | Children under 8 Free | Door sales available (cash only). Tickets from firstname.lastname@example.org or 0508 Wairua.
7. ST LUKE’S COMMUNITY CHOIR. For the last three years, we have had an organ fundraising event called the Community Choir. We invite you and your choral friends to join this year’s choir and step up to the challenge of Bruckner’s Requiem in D minor (the New Zealand Premiere). The concert, on Saturday 11th August @ 7pm, is in aid of the organ restoration fund. Music Director, Elizabeth Lau. We welcome experienced singers and people who would like to sing in a choir for the first time and who have good basic sight reading ability. Supported by Wairua Sinfonietta, come and experience the thrill of being part of a warm and wonderful choir and perform with professional instrumentalists and soloists. Who do you know who may be interested in joining us? If you would like to join, please email Pamela for a registration form detailing rehearsal dates and costs.
8. 2017 AGM. Response to Kerry and Jill Stotter’s question to the meeting. At the 2017 AGM meeting last October, Kerry and Jill asked a question of the Parish Convener regarding the processes undertaken by the Parish Council to review and measure the minister’s performance over the four years since his appointment. The full text of the question is contained in the amended AGM minutes sent out earlier. At the time, the moderator of the AGM judged the question out of order in the context of the AGM, but stated that the Parish Council’s response to a supplied written version of question would be provided to members of the community. A report on the communication between Parish Council and Kerry and Jill which establishes the response to the question is now available, and copies can be found on the screen bench. The report includes the offer to see the actual correspondence.
9. PARISH CLERK UPDATE. In June & July, Ken Hulls is available by email and mobile but will be residing in England. Geoff and Penelope are available if you wish to talk face-to-face regarding parish business.
VISITORS: If you would like to know about the Community of Saint Luke, including membership, or simply to join the mailing list, please fill out the blue “Welcome to St Luke’s” form (in pews) and put in the box on the screen bench
SUNDAY 10th JUNE 2018
9.30am – Community Worship
Liturgist – Pam Elgar Presenters - Glynn Cardy, David McNabb & Colin Rose Duty Elder – David McNabb
Readers – Curt Davidson, Megan Davidson Intercessions – Glynn Cardy
Organist – Grant Hutchinson SLIKS – Martin Needham & Neil Wright
130 Remuera Road, Remuera, Auckland 1050
Community Centre & Church Office: Phone 520 0740
Minister: GLYNN CARDY 021 545 969; email@example.com
Community Director: COLIN ROSE 520 0199 021 987 220; firstname.lastname@example.org
Administrator: PAMELA DAY 520 0740; email@example.com
Parish Council Convener: DAVID McNABB; firstname.lastname@example.org
Parish Clerk: KEN HULLS email@example.com
Envelope Secretary: MARGARET TIBBLES, 846 7682 (h); firstname.lastname@example.org
Parish Councillors: Geoff Olliff, Eleanor Stanton, David McNabb, David Boswell, Ken Hulls, Nick Paschalis, Callum Hunter, Barbara Smith, Kathryn Jones, Rebecca Hayward, Rodger Smith, Penelope Stevenson, Alexa Johnston,
Paul Martin (ex officio), Colin Rose (ex officio)
PASTORAL. If you know of anyone needing support, a listening ear, a phone call or a visit at home or in hospital.
please contact Pamela email@example.com